PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the future of instructing?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 09:44
TelsBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be astounded if many FTOs and clubs, never mind airfields, survive this. The industry as a whole has had a sledgehammer taken to it and the pieces will take a long time to glue back together, if ever. Added to this, the wider economy has been utterly destroyed by this enforced "shutdown". So many businesses will go under and unemployment will reach catastrophic levels so not many will be able to engage in private aviation anyway, assuming we are even allowed to do so, which at the moment isn't the case.

Greta's Doom Disciples will be overjoyed no doubt watching the world burn, as I can tell from several gloating comments on both this site and on many others, however for those of us lucky enough to still be employed in the industry, or even employed at all, the future looks very uncertain; catching this virus is the least of my worries (I do know two people who have lost their life to this thing), feeding the kids and paying the mortgage is and always will be by No.1 priority. I'm downhearted that I can't fly - I was grounded due medical for a while then my SEP ran out, I was about to get back in the saddle when all this burach kicked off - however I'm more grateful that I have a roof over our heads and food in the cupboards than anything. Every day this "lockdown" carries on increases the threat to that. As I have suspected from the very beginning, the time will come when the Govt will be forced to remove the "lockdown" due to the sheer damage done that will be an existential threat to the country. At the moment, the cure is worse than the illness.

Sadly, in Britain Aviation will always be seen as a rich man's plaything/Earth Destroyer and not the key economic driver & enabler that it is and will not get the support it needs to survive. Meanwhile, China etc. will get back on with things and hoover everything up in the bargain basement fire sale... at our expense...