PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non type rated easyjet recruitment?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 08:33
clvf88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by larki
Hi there
although I am not a pilot I am the father of a 21year old who went down the road of mpl training with easyjet and completed his full training plus simulator at gatwick on airbus a320 only to have his contract voided bu easyjet three days before his base training to get his licence, I know these are unprecedented times but he was so close to getting his licence and now it has left him with a £125k bill to pay and no job, We are also concerned about how long his certification will last before it will need renewing, he has got a reply from BALPA who cannot really help in the present circumstances.
Just to re-iterate what some others have said; all is not lost and your son is not the first to find himself in this position. I was also on a cadet scheme with a company who we're making redundancies upon the completion of my training. It took just under 3 years between finishing and getting my first flying job. The silver lining is when you do finally get there, you certainly appreciate it!

From my experience, my best advice is 'plate spinning'. Assume being a pilot is off the table and work out what you would like to do with your life. There is no reason why you cant keep yourself current / apply for flying jobs and pursue another profession. It will keep you sane, and if the worst should happen you're still not in a bad place. I was studying for financial qualifications; whilst to the bemusement of my fellow students studying ATPL theory in my lunch hour to keep current.

I spent a nearly 6 months moping around, applying for flying jobs that probably didnt even exist when I first 'graduated'. My best advice is to get out there and do something else. I think the most important attribute in anyone looking to become a pilot is perseverence. It might take a while; but the market will very quickly turn and if you keep pushing, you'll get there in the end.

Good luck!

(and as mentioned above, I'd pay little attention to the silly comments on here. A good proportion of the membership on here are not pilots, and just come on and spread nonsense)