PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loganair seek Govt. bailout
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 06:54
macdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AirUK
Normal seating under social distancing regs prior to the lockdown stage was working rather well - it will be exactly the same post-lockdown under social distancing regs. Only those displaying symptoms in-flight will need to be re-seated in the empty row at the back and made to wear a mask. Testing is key and everyone will be tested at some stage soon - then those that have not been infected or have the antibodies will be able to travel normally - expect this to be an internationally coordinated operation, with air routes between complying nations reopening as of when they see fit.
I admire your optimism.
You say "Only those displaying symptoms in-flight will need to be re-seated in the empty row at the back and made to wear a mask". I cannot envisage any situation where I would knowingly walk onto an aircraft which night have anyone suspected of having COVID19, let alone anyone displaying symptoms seated at the back. Unless I had been vaccinated or had natural immunity, which is probably 1 year away realistically in terms of mass testing on demand or the release of a vaccine.
Add to that the change in the psychology of the population. Bearing in mind that in China, one of the infection hotspots was public transport. Hardly surprising if the population decided that personal transport was preferable. This is borne out by recent attitude surveys. Bank holiday Gatwick crowds are not going to be popular.
I do agree that there probably will be an international coordinated ruleset to enable commercial aviation to re commence for necessities sake, necessity will probably save Loganair. But I think that by the time normality resumes the industry will be profoundly changed and much reduced. And that is before we start to think about people accepting that cheap travel is unacceptable from a global warming perspective.

EDIT: After writing the above I was reading on Yahoo Finance Mike O'Leary's comments on operating the airline with social distancing rules being impossible. What was interesting were the 85 public comments and how many were accepting of the notion that cheap air travel was now history.

Last edited by macdo; 23rd Apr 2020 at 07:20.