PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 02:14
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for clearing up the Seniority issue here_we_go_again, as always the gossip train can distort the truth. I was unaware anything was put in writing such as the email you mentioned. The few guys I've spoken to about it who were effected simply said they were told no Regional Pilots will be added ahead of them if they started before a certain date. But again, what was said vs what was heard I guess we can only speculate. Some new hires did have their Seniority numbers revoked and re-issued below T&R Pilots however.

Anyway, if the Regional ALPA reps aren't willing to make any changes that could save jobs then that's disgusting. But, to separate fact from fiction, the Jet Pilots are not saving Jobs directly due to the proposed 14% Paycut, there's more to it than that and a lot wont apply to the Regionals so cannot be copy pasted for the same effect.

Jet Pilots earn their base pay for 60 hrs flying per roster. Above 60 hours we get IP (incentive pay) per flying hour. Some view it as overtime, but really, it's productivity pay. Our schedules can be very seasonal so when we get flogged we get paid for it. 777 Pilots were flying 85-90+ hour rosters covering for the 787 in recent year.
Average IP across all Fleet/Ranks was calculated at 15%, Obviously, no one's doing 60+ hrs anytime soon, so 15% IP + 14% Paycut + delaying the annual pay increase (roughly 2%), the total reduction in Jet Salaries is ~31% (more for 777 Pilots less for Airbus Pilots, but that's the nature of IP).
This aligns with the Exec 15% Paycut, as they also wont be getting bonuses etc, so told us it works out to be a 30% cut for them also.

By agreeing to the Package (which includes the 14% Paycut among other things) the company have agreed to calculate Redundancies on 60 hr Rosters and not the "optimum" which is ~75 hrs. This is what will save Jobs.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the Regionals have IP? And, similar to the A320 fleet, it's incredibly difficult to fly massive hours on domestic where your turn-arounds can be longer then the actual flight. Most of the Jet IP comes from International Flying, especially Long Haul.

I do hope the Regionals can come up with solutions to keep their Junior Colleagues employed, but due to the contractual differences between Jet & Regional, they each demand a unique solution.