PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ex Military Jet Trainers (JP's, L39 etc.)
Old 22nd Nov 2003, 07:41
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Some good thoughts on here. Sycamore's points on ejection statistics are very valid. With the exception of the 75%/15% ejection statistics, most of the comparisons on this thread have been between civilian operated ex-military jet aircraft and pure civilian aircraft. We also need to consider a comparison of the statistics between civilian operated ex-military aircraft and the same types when in service. We then need to consider the differences in the two operations. Specifically:

Ejection seats live/inhibited. Pilot background with respect to ejection philosophy.

Aeromedical training for high altitude operation (one that has not caused an incident in an ex-military aircraft yet but has in Learjets!).

Minimum runway lengths for take-off and landing and stopping aids (arrester barriers). I believe that this is a major issue.

The carrying of unserviceabilities.

Modus operandi. Is a pilot tempted to low fly because his aircraft type did in service, and it is legal, even though he may have little experience of that environment?

IMC flight (already mentioned).

250 KIAS speed restriction below 10,000 ft if not in receipt of a radar service.

I am sure that I will think of more items and I will then edit this post accordingly. What we have here is the basis for a major symposium, and I have not touched on engineering aspects (quite deliberately as that is not my field). These problems are not insurmountable and are certainly not just related to pilot experience. We continuously go through soul searching in the display world, where some of the issues are similar to those here. If we keep dialogue such as this going, hopefully it will help in the jet world.

Keep 'em flying.

L