PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard times for Norwegian
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 19:28
733driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSDK
733driver: You are oversimplifying things quite a bit imo. The big airlines in the US has been the result of many, many bankruptcies and a reformed sector that used to pay very small wages up until very late in a pilots carreer. It's not easy being a new player in the market when the competetion paid 1/10000 of the price for a slot etc. 40-50 or 60+ years ago and so on. How would you ever get in on the market? Personally I would have done things differently regarding longhaul, but that's with 20/20 hindsight and no real interest of flying LH. But saying "Norwegian pay peanuts and go bust regardless. Go figure" is such a loaded blank statement without a fraction of a "calorie" in it that we really can't use it for anything. Should they have never tried? Could a 787 with endless problems and the 737-max have something to do with it as well? etc. etc etc. We get it. Norwegian bad - BA and so on, good. No matter the facts. Let's just go along with rumors and run with it since it fits with our narrative.
I was just countering the poster "Meester preach" who called others overpaid. You are correct that the situation in the US cannot be compared to Europe but I am correct that it's possible to be profitable and pay very good salaries to pilots. I admit the pay peanuts remark was perhaps not entirely appropriate, though.

I never said or implied Norwegian should have never tried. I just don't like it when fellow pilots argue that lower wages are necessary for a successful aviation business. Simply not true. I'm also no BA fan-boy. In fact I would not want to work there either. Too much work.