PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ex Military Jet Trainers (JP's, L39 etc.)
Old 22nd Nov 2003, 06:54
DamienB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zlin256 -
G-HHUN crashed on a non-display day at Dunsfold, hence I dont believe this is a true display-related accident
The AAIB report says the crash occurred after a display and before rejoining with another Hunter for a run and break to end their respective displays together.

G-KAXF - Again, this was transitting back to base from a display
So that would make it an 'airshow transit' as per my list, no?

It's very easy to massage the statistics to make them read how you want them to.
A quite remarkable accusation to sling at me when I was doing nothing of the sort; indeed I was being particularly harsh on my own recollections of which ex-mil jet incidents were airshow related by erring on the side of including airshow transits and practices under that heading purely because, as Genghis said, participation in display flying implies more experienced pilots.

My feeling had been that more accidents were to be found when looking at flights totally unrelated to airshows (and by implication a little more likely to be flown by less experienced pilots) than when looking at flights related to display flying (and therefore DA holders, more experience, blah blah). Genghis said opposite, I went to check, and by the looks of things it's pretty much 50-50 so we're both wrong!

Does demolishing my own position make me a statistic massager?