PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard times for Norwegian
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 10:03
SSDK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm starting to get real curious now. What do people think they know regarding the T&C's of Norwegian? I'm thinking hard figures: Pay, Pension, rights, Roster, vacation.... Everything.

I can only speak for myself, but before I left Norwegian (LGW) I had 122500 Pounds Gross in the left seat excluding everything else like pension, food, Uniform, etc. but including some dayoff payments. Is that peanuts? I don't know... I had about 2 years in the left seat and less than 10 years in commercial aviation. I was given the days off I wanted 95% of the time and I was entitled to at least 2 weeks VAC during the peak summer period with another 2 weeks in the winter. We had a lot of nightstops, but I was commuting, so not a problem for me. Training was great and the overall atmosphere was very good in my opinion. Was there room for change? You bet! But from what I could see BALPA had a good relationship with OSM/Norwegian and we always had improvements in the horizon. From what I can remember they mostly fought for better check-in times etc. I'm pretty sure that's what everyone is fighting for these days. I flew around 800Hrs the year I left...
People in the company will know that T&C's in scandiland were on better contracts and as far as Spain goes it is/was very similar to the UK.... But with much lower living costs. And don't get me started about Finland and FCO before It closed!

In many ways I feel sorry that I had to leave, but the commuting life was not for me...

I'm very surprised about the uneducated "pocket economics" comments we have seen not only here, but also on the Virgin thread.

Everyone, including the likes of BA are apparently owned by someone playing dirty and each and every airline has skeletons in their closet. Does that need a change? Yes, off course it does! But that needs to happen via regulations and a change in practices - Not because of an industry-wide nuclear bomb deleting everything in it's path! We see so much BS uttered from people who know very little about the actual operational details and the economic structure of many of the companies mentioned! We have all met the type on the line! The typical "know it all" skipper who will spend hours explaining why the whole industry went south and how it was all much better in the old days! Ok, ok - we get it! ...Man....Get a life! I see some well-hidden Brexit stuff thrown in on a few posts here as well - Nice touch!

I love the typical: "Well, all my sympathy for the crews involved" comments who will then 5 sentences later be followed by "they knew what they got themselves into from the beginning - I have zero sympathy for NAS etc." type remarks. It's like saying "I'm sorry that you are alle idiots". People have a life that needs to add up in the real world. We can't all pick and choose where we want to work, and who to work for! And not everyone wants to be in a Legacy carrier like SAS, BA or any other for that matter!

How about some unity and support for once? This is bound to get a lot worse over time apparently and not even the most higly-skilled pilot with seniority going as far back as the wright brothers can consider themselves safe right now!

I feel like we are going in circles here without learning anything new, so I'm out. Personally, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us! Especially in Europe at the moment. Anyone left here after this will be up against a sector who has already been bailed out across the pond....