PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Information on Victor XA929 crash in Cyprus 16th June 1962
Old 21st Apr 2020, 20:00
Rattenj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XA929

Originally Posted by AllyG113
Jtbeaky

Thanks for the reply, apologies for the delay, I haven't logged on since! The fact you were burying a cat at the time made me roar with laughter!

I'm in the RAF Myself now, have been since 2002 for my sins. Unfortunately I wasn't clever enough to follow in my grandfathers footsteps and be a Nav! Although I'm thankful now as loads of them have been laid off!

An add on (which I'm sure you are aware of anyway) is that the Co-Pilot (who was actually the more experience of the pilots) banged out when the aircraft was obviously in trouble but obviously the ejection seats aren't designed to be used that close to the ground so he died on impact with the runway. The pilot didn't eject (to his credit) and obviously the guys in the back (my grandfather included) couldn't get out.

Many people wonder why there was in fact 6 people on board when usually there are only 5 crew on board is that this aircraft was on a Lone Ranger mission to the Middle East (RAF Khormaksar, Aden)

The outcome of the inquest was that the Station Commander recommended that the question of monitoring aircraft at the start point as well as on the approach should be examined by the Directorate of Flight Safety. In the meantime, photographs of all V-Bombers and big RAF Transport aircraft in the correct take-off configurations were obtained by RAF Akrotiri for the education of the runway controllers. Whenever possible these aircraft were to be monitored at the start of their take-off run.

Regards

Alison
Hello Alison (AllyG113)

I was a co-pilot on 10 Squadron in 1962. The Akrotiri crash was a couple of weeks after I joined the squadron and made a deep impression.
I have only recently followed this thread. I am a member of the 10 Squadron Association and actively interested in the circumstances of the crash.
I understand that you are related to one of the crew and offer my belated condolences to your family's loss.

Kind regards,

John