PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2020, 14:18
Gove N.T.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H

Originally Posted by Count von Altibar
Fully agree with MDS and touch&go post above. They're lacking assets and have been doing badly during the good times throwing money at Virgin Atlantic is a flawed strategy, especially taxpayers money which will likely never be seen again. I feel genuinely sorry for the employees it's bad enough dealing with this virus never mind facing redundancy. Personally I do not want to see any government financial assistance to Virgin Atlantic, it would be the wrong thing to do and is not in the UK taxpayers interest.
Several posts offer sympathy for the staff but all those are easy words to write when you're not involved.
When you start an airline from scratch (G-ViRG) with a view to take on goliath or at least tweak his ear,is it surprising that RB has an emotional attachment to it and the staff and will do what he can to ensure it's survival. There's so much horse manure over his wealth. Does anyone really believe he has billions in his current account? Dream on. I suspect many on this site invest their earnings which will have taken real hit in the last few months ĵust like his.
Should VS fold it won't be easy for a new airline to take it's place in the foreseeable future. If one does try it will face a similar Marshall/King type onslaught.. What a gift to Goliath. The little man in charge of IAG will be rubbing his hands with glee.
It's sad to see a competitor in this state for reasons entirely beyond its control.
Perhaps the Treasury has taken the view that regardless of what he comes up with, no airline will make money for many year and any loans with interest will be a pointless exercise
I suspect BA will suffer serious redundancies soon after airlines start to fly again competing with spbsidised US carriers unless of course BA go cap in hand to the Govt.
The 3rd runway is a distant ship smoke on the horizon (Pink Floyd)