PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ex Military Jet Trainers (JP's, L39 etc.)
Old 22nd Nov 2003, 04:49
Zlin526

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Say Again Slowly...

I have flown both the Extra 300 and Harvard and the Extra is a pussy compared to the Harvard. Both a real treat to fly, but the Harvard will bite you every time in a slow speed turn.

There is a form of type rating available for civilian ex-mil jets. In essence, it goes something like this:

The current JAA rules state that a type rating is required for turbojet aircraft. As there is currently no type rating available for these aircraft in the UK (as there is for TBM700, Malibu, Boeing 737 etc), the CAA issue a pilot with a Type Rating Exemption. This is not a 'tick in the box' exercise. When an application is made, quite detailed consultation is made between FCL at the Belgrano and with relevant experts in the other operational branches of the CAA about the pilots flying background and suitability to fly the intended aircraft; most of these experts are ex-mil QFIs on various types of fast jets. A training syllabus is proposed by the operator, and accepted by the CAA. Once they are happy with the proposals, a training Exemption is issued, which allows the pilot to undertake training on one nominated type of aircraft with a named instructor. The training Exemption also allows the pilot to fly a single solo exercise.

Once the pilot has flown a solo to the instructor’s satisfaction, then the pilot may apply to the CAA for a full Type Rating Exemption on the strength of the training as previously proposed. This is valid for one year, and is renewable by logbook evidence of satisfactory currency. Conditions can and are imposed where relevant.

In addition to the licensing requirements, ex-mil jet operators are required to operate in accordance with CAP632 and to prepare and submit an Organisational Control Manual (OCM). Once this has been accepted by the CAA as meeting the requirements of CAP632, they are then subject to annual audit. Approvals can and are withdrawn when the requirements are not being met, or where doubt exists about operator’s procedures. Once this happens, the aircraft cannot fly, because the aircraft’s Permit-to- Fly requires compliance with CAP632.

With this in mind, I personally believe that there is satisfactory supervision and safety oversight undertaken by the regulatory bodies. These are civilian aircraft operated by private individuals. Somebody at Big Chief level in the CAA must have taken a long hard policy review of the realities of allowing low hour pilots to fly these aircraft. They must have been happy to allow it then, and to keep allowing it some 10+ years after the start of civilian ex-mil jet flying in the UK. I agree that there are now a large number of ex-mil jet aircraft flying, but the regulatory principals remain the same.

Looking at Damien B's list, I count 10 civilian jet accidents, with 9 fatalities. How many other fatalities have there been in light aircraft and Helicopter types over that same 10 years? LOTS! So as I said in my previous post to your thread about JPs (which has been deleted by the moderators), why single out ex-mil jets? There will always be the small number of pilots who's financial status far outweighs their flying ability, and only fly these aircraft to impress the girlfriend, but hopefully the requirements weed these pilots out right at the start.

Can we look forward to the DVLC restricting 17 year old drivers to cars under 1000cc, and not being allowed to drive Ferraris and Lamborghinis??

Phew.....

P.S.

On the subject of impressing people, I saw a real 'smoothy' type who spent all day walking around Kemble at the open day a few months ago. Wearing a Gro-Bag with loadsa badges, and some G trousers with the hose hanging out of his pocket. All the 'real' ex-mil jet pilots were sniggering in their coffee, 'cos apparently they are too uncomfortable to walk in unless you are posing.

Last edited by Zlin526; 22nd Nov 2003 at 05:07.