PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard times for Norwegian
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2020, 08:52
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well said. It’s important to note that you can be very sympathetic towards the plight of Norwegian employees and wish them all the best, but at the same time be pretty scathing about the business plans and general health of the company. It is an unfortunate truism that many airlines from history ran into trouble during an over-ambitious expansion phase coupled with market uncertainty.

It reminds me of the old saying attributed to head-in-the-clouds management from the .com bust era: “we lose on every sale but we’ll make it up in volume!!”, which fairly describes NAXs modus operandi in the last couple of years.

We are seeing an unprecedented fall in the demand for air travel with no real clear indication of what form/timing an eventual recovery will take. Even the strongest, cash-richest airlines are finding it extremely difficult. There is bound to be fallout/consolidation and unconditional support for failing businesses only increases the burden on other ones. Is there a future for some parts of Norwegian? I hope so but the LH bit of the operation as presented never really made commercial sense to me.