PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carry On Cranwell
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2020, 08:36
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Carry On Cranwell

Isolation was brightened up last week with a rare showing of High Flight (1957) which had a thread here in 2012.
This film really has something for everyone (starting with the cast) who went on to well known productions ranging from TV, Bond films and Dads Army.
The Aviation buffs have plenty of scope with many (now closed Airfields) plus a wonderful selection of classic machines including the Piston Provost, Vampire, Hunter, and assorted kit parked in the background. Although quite 'Carry On' with the Cranwell parts (quite funny at times) the aerial formation footage is superb, with the Hunter bits (according to F K Mason) shot from a MK4 conversion WT 780.This machine had been modified as a FR version and was used for ongoing development work until 1964. However for me the low flying Provost (beat up) scenes are quite a gem, as this little beast of a machines with its wide fixed UC looks quite dramatic very low and fast doing all the naughty bits. Still available on DVD I suspect the Air Box were not that pleased with the Cranwell Cadet bits, but I bet the flying scenes were a great recruitment exercise.