PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Have You Learned
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2020, 02:09
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
I learned the hard way that no flying job is totally secure
I learned that when unstable fanatics get guns, it is time to run
I learned that when running from nutters with guns, leave your car at the airport with the keys in the ignition, pour sand in the sump and leave them to it - you will never return
I learned never to look back - something might be gaining on you
I learned (from watching others spin out) that the higher you go, the longer the drop
I learned that what you fly is not as important as where you fly - the more challenging the better
I learned (from watching others) that driving big aeroplanes does not enhance your sex life, but may attract 'high maintenance' members of the fair sex
I learned (from watching others) that said high maintenance types often depart the fix at the first sign of hard times
I learned that good layovers with the right crew may attract...well...'nuff said!
I learned that it is better to earn a little less as a trade-off for a healthy lifestyle - your earning years are directly proportional to your health
I learned that as soon as the pay check bounces, check out & find another flying job
I learned that all contracts and agreements become null and void the day your pay is late
I learned that in lean times, any job on even a sh!tbox aeroplane that allows you to maintain flying proficiency, is better than no job
I learned that occasionally going back from airline flying to GA is actually good fun, reawakens old skills, improves tolerance and teaches you aviation economics like no classroom could
I learned that when the recovery comes, a current pilot will get the drop on those that sat waiting for their ship to come in
I learned that if your employer treats you right, better you reciprocate - you never know what lies ahead

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 21st Apr 2020 at 02:30.