PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Have You Learned
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2020, 01:09
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
I don't regret having well paid flying jobs at all. I've a well stocked life boat but who knows if it can survive our current heavy seas?

I would have terrible regrets of aviation if my position hopeless or I'd been lured beyond my means. Perhaps Ansett's demise taught me a number of lessons. Perhaps too, the number of disappointing characters I've met in the industry. I feel terrible for the good folks at Virgin and elsewhere. However, I do vividly recall the behaviour of many Virgin staff at Ansett's collapse. It was quite a shock. Maybe just a bitter overspill from 89 though some of these clowns were not involved and just caught up in their Branson-cult. Hope they enjoyed their staff island!

A few months ago, I did a visual approach in a wide body, just like the old domestic days. Nothing terribly skilful, just felt nice to roll wings level at 2 miles after a high speed descent and calculating my three times tables. For the whole return flight I perused ever changing electronic manuals for nuances of illegality in the approach. Red wine and substitution tests later with colleagues and still confusion. Weeks later probing managers and one "felt" the interpretation of our manuals in favour though the regulator grey. All this stress for trying to do your job well? It is not worth low pay.

Another tip, the manager today telling you to hold firm, everything is OK, he may already have another job. So be wary of group think and fill your life boat!