PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non type rated easyjet recruitment?
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2020, 23:31
Flying Clog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Larki,

I'm very sorry to hear of your son's plight. But on the other thread I started 'career advice for pilots' on Rumours and News, I've speculated that anyone who hasn't been in a major/legacy carrier for 10 years, or a loco for at least 5 years, is pretty unlikely to ever step into a flight deck again. If we're looking at a 25% ball park reduction in flying traffic over the next 5-10 years, then I don't think my depressing assessment is far off. It's extremely sad, and I feel for all my colleagues.

For someone who's just come out of flight training like your son, it's 125k pounds down the swanny I'm afraid.

Your son needs to think fast and act on his feet to make a plan.

From my other thread

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

I know what I'd be doing right now - buying up all the hairdressing/cutting equipment I can possibly get my grubby hands on. Setting up a business plan to strike as soon as the social distancing measures are relaxed and perhaps using, recruiting, or putting on retainer, 100s of hairdressers in the UK with a compelling business model. A national door to door service at a sensible price. Used reliable cars will be going cheap too to equip the fleet. Learn to cut hair in the mean time myself.

Go absolutely ballistic once the social distancing measures are relaxed. There's no way that the current number of hairdressers in the UK will even be able to keep up with even 25% of the demand they'll have in the first 3-6 months of recovery. There will be a massive backlog. Good luck trying to book in to get your barnet cut any time soon.

Then use the profits you've made from this venture, and the business experience gained to open more doors. Perhaps simultaneously get a degree in business or something even more left field like Engineering, with the profits you've just drummed up. And away you go.

But sadly, as I alluded to in the opening of this thread - anyone with less than 10 years flying at a major airline or 5 years at a loco probably won't ever see the inside of the flight deck again. It's very sad and I feel for all my colleagues.

Swallow that pill, act fast, and forget about the flying career.

I started flying in the 90s, went through the Asian Crisis, 9/11, SARS and the GFC of 2008... and this one will be an order of magnitude of 10 of all those previous inconveniences COMBINED. And my good friends who were in the wrong place at the wrong place had there careers set back 5-10 years even with those (now minor) hiccups in the road. This one............