PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2020, 17:02
gilesdavies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Social Distancing at the Airport

LTNman - Social distancing is an issue that faces every airport in the UK and moreover the world, I don't see how cramming people on to a bus is the only issue they face.

The departure lounge might get crowded and busy but that would be the least of my issues, as atleast you can find quiet corners.

I see the real pinch points being boarding gates and the security areas, Especially the lines that snake around left and right, and even during more healthier times if you are at a busy boarding gate or in security you probably have at least 10 people within two metres of yourself in the queue. The airport would have to almost close off every other boarding gate to create enough space for just one flight to board, and the security queuing system will need to be dramatically expanded in to floor space they don't have available in that area.

I also see similar issues with Passport Control.

The only likely solution I see is people only being allowed to enter security and departures when flights are called, for example 45-60 mins before departure. I guess with the new automated barriers at Security, they can restrict access to security as you have to have your boarding card scanned.

As I mentioned its not just Luton that faces this issue, airports like Heathrow and Gatwick have boarding gate holding pen areas, where you can easily have 300-500 people all sat/standing and waiting in a tiny area until the aircraft is ready to board, also the enclosed air bridges will be an issue for these airports too.