PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loganair-2
Thread: Loganair-2
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2020, 13:23
Rob Royston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JSCL
Precisely. It has to be economic, not emotional. But the Scottish Gov may well make an emotional play for LM.

The latter point of lifeline services could be operated by a Class B AOC holder, less legal obligations, smaller planes. Surely?
What is this lifeline service I hear so much about when it comes to running ferries, and now planes. As someone who was brought up in the Outer Hebrides and didn't set foot on the mainland until I was seventeen, l think that they are just an instrument of accessing public funds. I see them as Government support for Lifestyle Services.
Lifeline services are those provided by the Scottish Air Ambulance with helicopters and small aircraft.
Looking back to the days of the BEA Viscounts, the planes were always well filled. Mostly local people travelling to and from their occupations, ex Pat's visiting family, business people etc. Everyone paid the same fare. Nowadays, if you have a local address you qualify for a lower fare than someone visiting family from the mainland, so these people just drive up to the ferry. For years I used to fly up and rent a car, now I look at the fares offered and if there are a few of us there isn't much change from a grand and still a car hire to add on.