PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ex Military Jet Trainers (JP's, L39 etc.)
Old 22nd Nov 2003, 01:08
Zlin526

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damien,

Just a little clarification of your stats:

G-HHUN crashed on a non-display day at Dunsfold, hence I dont believe this is a true display-related accident; As I remember it, and without looking at the AAIB report, it occured during a practice flight. Aerobatics yes, but could have been at 30,000ft. I recently attended a seminar (along with 'Say Again Slowly') where it was suggested that the pilot of this aircraft should have ejected, but chose to try and fly the aeroplane back onto the runway. I often wonder if these people ever consider what happens to the aircraft after the pilot leaves? The pilot's life may have been saved, but the burning aircraft may have ended up flying into the high street of the local town??

G-KAXF - Again, this was transitting back to base from a display, therefore in my view, and certainly that of the CAA, it was an A to B flight, straight and level (initially) and not display related.

It's very easy to massage the statistics to make them read how you want them to.

For the anti-display lobby, it may 'appear' that lots of aircraft crash at air displays if you read statistics without detailed knowledge of the actual causes

At the same seminar as I have mentioned, and a recent Military seminar, the L39 which recently force landed in a field near Duxford was described as "taking part in a display". Incorrect information from people who really should know better..

Say Again Slowly,

Do you think that the CAA should restrict pilots who get to fly TBM700s, Malibus, and other high Performance aircraft, as maybe your average PPL can't cope with their High speeds, engine handling and exceptional performance? What about all the PPLs who fly Harvards, an aeroplane that will certainly bite you if pushed in a slow speed turn......