PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF miss range in Japan by 5km
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2020, 11:56
jimjim1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a look for the incident mentioned by gums and failed to find it however -

https://www.gao.gov/assets/210/203234.pdf
Stray bombs
The Navy does not have complete records on the number of bombs dropped outside the range area. By examining Navy rccords and newspaper articles, and by talking with area residents, we determined that some bombs have missed the target area. We obtained information on three incidents involving damage caused by stray bombs. The first occurred in January 1968 when an inert practice bomb dropped within 2 feet of a grocery store about 8 miles from Pinecastle. Although the building was not significantly damaged, a newspaper article describing the incident stated that someone was standin, on the other side of the wall when the bomb hit . The second ;I! cident occurred in June 1969 when five small inert rockets hit Camp Ocala, a youth camp about 4 miles from the range. About 100 people were at the camp at the time. One of the rockets damaged a propane gas tank, but no one was injured. The incident occurred at night and the pilot apparently mistook the camp for the target. The third incident occurr.ed in May 1973 when an inert 500-pound bomb was dropped abo:!i: mile from a recreational area which was occupied at the i:ji,.. This bomb started a smal.1 fire that burned about an acr'. 02 trees.

We observed several craters just outside the Pinecastli-: perimeter road which appear to have been caused by stray Live bombs. The officer-in-charge of the range told us that to his knowledge no live ordnance had been dropped since 1967 outside -the Pinecastle range boundary.

Tremors
Navy records showed only one instance where tremors damaged property. On February 16, 1973, 128 live SOO-poun

N.J. bombing range under fire over blaze - US news - Military | NBC News
But if your neighbor repeatedly set the neighborhood on fire, crashed a plane into it, and shot up the local elementary school, how neighborly would you feel?

The latest hazard caused by the range — a massive forest fire that burned 14,000 acres, damaged or destroyed a handful of homes and forced 6,000 people to flee — underscores the tensions between the base, which trains pilots bound for Iraq and Afghanistan, and the ring of senior citizen developments encroaching ever nearer.