PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted Airport History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2020, 07:22
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
My fav's are the Transair Sweden 727's - first saw a pair at Palma 1969
Followed by the very shiny Braathens 767's - again I saw the pair together at Palma 1984/85

March 1980 - Watched a full, very heavyweight (180 pax) Sterling 727-200 lift off at Colombo on its way back to CPH - I assume it stopped for fuel at DXB?
Nose lifted then took an age for it to lift off and the climb was so shallow.
Had met the crew the evening before in the lovely old Colonial Mount Lavinia Hotel - we had sunset drinks on the terrace with the BA girls too.
I was on leave after a spell working with my company BMA on behalf of PIA in KHI (707 contract) and I decided as I had 28 days Hols to take I would rather do it in the Tropics than in a
rather cold rainy Blighty in March. PIA gave me a free ticket to CMB and back.
I was at CMB airport that day waiting for the then once a week brand new Air Lanka airline 737-200 flight to somewhere quite new for me - Male Maldives (where, I thought?)
I had met the CMB Town Manager for the new airline (UL) and she offered me an ID50 ticket to Male -
Try it she said - It's quiet but if you want nice beaches etc etc - It's cheap as chips she said, only the Germans and Italians go there.
I got there - We landed on a pure white tiny coral strip, perfect 737-200 territory - We walked over to a tin hut open air terminal with yes a load of Germans and fellow Europeans -
Could not see a thing in the glare as I had packed my sunglasses - Loads of island folk all lined up offering accommodation. (Bit like the Greek Islands)
Stayed 3 weeks on a stunning island with about 8 thatched huts, no news no shoes, 2 hours by Dhoni boat from Male (Male - Tiny little quaint mad Arabesque place back then)
$15 a day Full Board !
Pure Bliss