PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus employment low on its way?
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2020, 01:02
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not exactly sure why you suddenly believe Cargo pilots will be in demand?
Another important point, Flying Cargo is mostly wide body, very unlikely that they will take an inexperienced FO with no hours to start flying wide-body, It would cost a lot in both additional training and insurance for the Cargo operator. If they flying 330's, it's not a massive upgrade to go from 320 to 330 etc.

Virgin had a massive problem with their own Cadets, that's why they shipped them of to Easyjet, so they could work 3 years with Easyjet, and get loads of landings experience, instead of flying wide-body, where you are lucky if you do more than 5 landings a month.

So what you are saying is absolute rubbish, sorry.

Sure some of the Cargo companies are busy now, but that is because they are the only ones who can fly now. And as for taking new non type rated low hour pilots, while there are literally thousands of unemployed very experienced pilots, does not seem very likely. As whoever is out there and who have lost their jobs, will go for whatever is available and offered to them.

Just to get some figures out there, we have in recent times had Air Berlin, Monarch, FlyBe and Thomas Cook all gone, very likely there will be more casualties such as possibly Norwegian. Norwegian won't go completely, but maybe cut down to 20 - 30 aircraft if they get government help and restructure the company. I personally hope they will survive, but we can't predict anything in the current situation.

Wizz have made loads of pilots redundant, that's 265 pilots who will probably have first dibs in getting back into Wizz, Something similar could happen with Easyjet too, but the number will probably be higher, maybe as much as 500 - 1000, again most likely these will block the way for any new recruitment in to Ezy.

BA and Virgin, have many who was working their notice period with other companies, at least the ones for BA have been retained in the hold pool, and again when BA starts these will be there first to take the jobs. Expect

This is just mentioning some, Lufthansa have also reduced their subsidiary airline, not sure what will happen with all their crews Not sure all will be able to get job with Lufthansa.

So I might sound negative, but the negativity is based on facts of the current situation. And this we have to accept. If you have 5 - 6000 pilots, with 4000 - 5000 hours, all looking for those same jobs, the zero hours guy won't even get a look in as it stands at the moment. At least 2 - 3 years, unless things changes drastically.

Last edited by truckflyer; 19th Apr 2020 at 21:49.