PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus- Rostering and Seating Issues
Old 18th Apr 2020, 17:52
Dark Stanley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The suggested return to normalisation I’m afraid isn’t an option. What are you trying to preserve for your children? That’s an open question for us all.

A continuation of our current life style choices and way of life will eventually just guarantee a repeat of the current situation. Capitalism only survives with continuous growth, expansion, consumption, market value rules over life. Continual encroachment of pristine rain Forrest, loss of habitat pushing species ever closer together making cross contamination of pathogens ever more likely. It’s nothing new, Jesus even Hollywood managed to predict it 5 years ago.Can you imagine a pathogen with the same incubation period as Covid19, with the mortality rate of MERS? Most of the time a virus will mutate to a less potent state, Ebola has several strains.....if you want to sleep well don’t search for what the worst does...

We need less consumption, less drive for efficiency, less drive for expansion. There are amazingly a myriad of jobs that are literally unneeded, created and sustained to support the system, a bit lit Ryanair putting an airframe on a route that never previously existed, but make it cheap enough and they will come.
I don’t have the answers, I’m not clever enough, but I do know what we’ve got isn’t...

So maybe we don’t need to throw our elderly parents under the bus in the name of a short term return to normality...maybe we need to accept that we’ve got it wrong, and if we don’t our children won’t have any future at all, let alone one that is less than we’d all hoped for....