PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Never fly with a full bladder
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2020, 14:15
PaulH1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was on BFTS Cranwell on the JP5a when we took a few aircraft up to Lossiemouth for low level training in the mountains. There was low cloud on arrival and forecast to stay like that for two days. A Shackleton squadron ( I can't remember the actual squadron number) was based there and on the second day of our detachment with no let up in the weather due, we were in the mess bar having a few beers with the Shackleton crews.
Our Squadron Commander came in and made an announcement that there were two seats going on a Shack trip in the morning. Briefing 07:30 for an 8-hour radar training flight. Not surprisingly there were no volunteers and we all were making ourselves as small as possible, but in true tradition, two were 'volunteered'. I was one.
On arriving at the briefing with a thumping hangover we were reunited with one of the Shack crews that we had been drinking with the night before - equally hungover. After squeezing ourselves in we were shown where to sit and where the pee tube was. After take off we headed out over the North Sea and the crew were getting stuck into their radar tubes when after about 2 hours a voice came over the intercom 'skip, no 3 radar tube U/S' . Reply 'OK no.3, that's it then, we will have to abort mission'
Our hopes suddenly rose, were are going back! The next intercom voice from the Skipper 'We are still overweight so will have to spend an hour dumping fuel'
The boys, now with nothing to do, started getting bored and decided to have a farting contest. After the beers the night before it was horrendous. Seasoned Shack crews against a couple of boys out of initial training!
I have never been so pleased to get of an aircraft since!