PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFAP would not support DS legislative change proposal
Old 18th Apr 2020, 01:19
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish

The last thing any of these organizations want is more GA or Recreational Aircraft “polluting their airspace”. In addition as a group there is also the possibility that they are simpl snobs.
Back in the 80's that was certainly the case. The AFAP then was a supremely elitist and arrogant closed shop union. Then came the debacle of 1989 which brought them and their members serious grief.
Over the years since, in order to survive they have become more moderate and taken a closer interest in GA. There are examples of GA pilots who were shafted by employers who have the AFAP to thank for recovered entitlements. Of course GA operators don't like them, but they are after all a union, not a trade association.
In my own case, not too long ago I had a serious stoush with CASA over a quite trivial matter which they blew up to the point where it could have impacted on my ability to earn a crust. The free legal assistance that came from the AFAP was worth more than I could have afforded had I engaged my own lawyer. While CASA never admitted that their overly zealous officer and ambiguous regulation was at fault, I have had nothing but co-operation from them since.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 18th Apr 2020 at 01:32.