PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private equity take-over for Virgin Australia?
Old 18th Apr 2020, 00:22
normanton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by No Idea Either
Bit of perspective. I am not a JB fanboy BUT, VA hasn’t turned a profit over the last 6 years due to the capital investment of putting the airline on a path of direct competition with QF. the shareholders have stumped up billions in order for this to happen. No dividends have been issued so hence no money going back O/S. I think the owners finally realised a change of leadership was required hence JB told to move on. ANZ debacle most likely precipitating that. If that investment had not been made then we would still be competing against JQ alone and all this talk of industry competition would be moot, QF would be doing exactly as they please, Gouging out the public. Plenty of examples of this behaviour still going on. So if we were still VB and eking out a meagre profit against JQ would that be a good thing, who knows, probably wouldn’t be in this situation, but then all of you who don’t get staff travel would be paying for it........remember QF is in a good position financially at the moment, well they say they are - all bravado in my opinion, but they have already been ‘chosen’ as the winner regardless of the VA outcome. And let’s not forget the billions in dividends going to QF’s 41% foreign shareholders for all you ‘advance Australia fair’ followers. How much investment has QF actually done in the business (apart from bonus/dividend inducing buy backs) over the last decade........bueller......bueller.......bueller.
Great point. Except Qantas has been able to pay is 41% foreign owned shareholders because it makes a profit. Virgin doesn't. They couldn't get it together when the times were good, and they won't be getting anywhere when the times are bad. Wrap it up. Start again.

Are you claiming because Qantas is 41% foreign owned, its not an Australian airline?

Also could you tell me where the Virgin "profits" would go if they ever made some?

Last edited by normanton; 18th Apr 2020 at 00:35.