PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish charter airlines
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2020, 17:25
Fly.Buy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the late 70's as a young teenager, I flew from Ringway to Palma Majorca on a Spantax DC-8 series 60. Always remember the generous spacing between the seats as if it was set up for long range flights, surprising really for a package holiday charter airline. I always liked the DC-8 and thought it was sleeker and much better looking aircraft than the Boeing 707. From memory CPAir DC-8's were one of the other regular operators into Manchester together with a KLM DC8 combi on Saturday mornings. I appreciate that this thread is about Spanish charters but must say what a smart and attractive colour scheme CPAir had! The return leg from Palma was by luck on a Spantax Convair Coronado, in fact two flew out that night to Manchester, the other covered a Britannia airways flight as the company were on strike. What I remember about the CV990 flight was the noticeable roar and noise as it belted down the runway. The whole aircraft rattled and shook like I have never experienced before. I knew even then I was fortunate to have a ride on this beast as I had never seen such a type in my years of plane spotting. Later on in life I read that the chief pilot of Spantax described the Coronado as "The Maserrati of the Skies'.