PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish charter airlines
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2020, 09:08
Mr Mac

Received 153 Likes on 96 Posts
All this talk of "interesting" take off,s and indeed landings as well as actual crashes, just high lights how unsafe air travel still was then in relation to the number of flights undertaken. I remember all of the carriers mentioned and especially the Corando and DC8 operated by the Spanish carriers. I also have a look with nostalgia at the old one parked up next to the air force hangar at Palma when I am in there. It would be good to see it restored, even if just a paint job, but they did pour out some smoke. I flew on Swiss Air DC8 and Cornado and once on Iberia, but never on a Spanish registered one as far as I can remember other than the one Iberia flight. They were noisy and pumped a lot of smoke out but I do have a soft spot for them. My last flight in a DC8 was back in in 1989 when I hired two DC8 61 Freighters to move materials from Houston to Stanstead, and flew back in the cockpit on the jump seat, as I was in Houston at the time, and was due to head home anyway. You could do that back then with little documentation, and even went through crew channel at immigration. Happy memories.
Kind regards
Mr Mac