PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF miss range in Japan by 5km
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2020, 06:47
F-16GUY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with Gums. Pure written report that does not explain the procedures and terms at all.

With the introduction of Link-16 and a certain OFP upgrade, the F-16 got the capability to share Sensor Point of Interest (SPI) between formation members. This means that one can see ones elements mate SPI on ones Horizontal Situation Display (HSD) and also on the TGP if it is zoomed out far enough. The transmitted SPI itself is not exactly precise, but will show a symbol with the generating formation member’s number on top. As it is transmitted through the Link, it is not weapons quality grid and there is a delay in SPI position update due to the way the system works (in a case where the target is not stationary). The SPI position however, is close enough to get a laser seeker within acquisition range during the later portion of the bombs flight/fall.

I have never seen the SPI used for buddy lasing ops against a stationary target, but then again, we do not use same procedures as the USAF. The way we use the SPI, is for the formations members to gain SA on the other formations member’s sensor position. For attack usage we use it for mover attacks, where we employ laser or dual mode weapons. The clever part about the SPI during a buddy lased mover attack, is that the SPI information from the designator aircraft, also contains the vector of the target. This way, the shooter aircraft will calculate a lead computed impact point that will ensure the weapon is in the right point in space when the seeker is within acquisition range. Seen it used in combat against very fast movers, and it worked like a charm.

The problem with the SPI on the other hand, is that every time the aircraft that is generating the SPI looses TGP track, the SPI will still be visible in the element mates cockpit for a certain amount of time. And sometime there can even be multiple stale SPI’s displayed. For this reason, there is a procedure in place to ensure that the receiver aircraft is looking on the proper SPI. Each transmitted SPI has an index number attached. This number has to be verified in both cockpits to avoid embarrassment. And this brings me to this incident, where I get the feeling that this was not done, and that the MP dropped his weapon on a stale SPI.

Furthermore, I don’t know how procedures are at the range used in this incident, but we have very strict procedures that we have to follow during attacks where the target is obscured by clouds. One of the most restrictive rules is that the shooter has to get below the weather and visually verify that the SPI is on/in vicinity of the intended target, and from this time on the weapon has to be delivered within a very short amount of time…