PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ex Military Jet Trainers (JP's, L39 etc.)
Old 21st Nov 2003, 20:21
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ex Military Jet Trainers (JP's, L39 etc.)

This is a new thread about the use of ex-military jet trainers by civilian and especially private pilots.

Are the current standards set by the CAA tough enough? If so why is the accident rate in ex-military a/c so much higher than in 'normal' GA.

Is there enough oversight of inexperienced pilots who buy into syndicates? Apart from instructor overview.

There are virtually no guidelines from the CAA about ejection seats. Is this acceptable? A seat is just part of an ejection system that needs ALL parts to be in working order. If this is true, why is it that when in RAF service the sucessful ejection rate was 75%, but using the same technology this rate has dropped to below 15% in civillian hands?Is this down to maintenance, training in the use and limitations of the seat or a combination of the two?

How do people feel about the onset of EASA, is this going to affect the way these a/c are operated, for instance in Germany, ex-military a/c are not allowed to have functioning ejection seats, could this happen here. (personally I hope not.)

If there are problems with British machines, how serious are the issues with eastern bloc types such as the L29, L39 and Galeb for example. Is it possible to get the seat charges required despite customs not allowing the import of explosives? Should the CAA make a representation to Customs on behalf of the owners of these machines to allow an exemption on seat charges on safety grounds?

In regards to the problems with the previous thread, these have been resolved and this thread is to be used in no other way by myself other than for a discussion about topics I find worrying and by a desire to make sure that we keep a/c like these being flown by ANY pilots who are capable. Any responses will not be used outside of this forum by myself.