PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2020, 06:00
kangaroota

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corkey McFuz
There were many externals who had been at their previous jet company for a short period of time. I'm talking JQ JC VA in nz and oz, cathay, the freight operators etc etc. Prior to that, sure there were many GA, air ambos, Jetstar regional, ozzy, probably many others and of course the links. The point I was making re the morals was about going to these jet operators, irrespective of where they came from, and being there for such a short period of time before going to Air NZ. Yip I appreciate there were many who did their time and provided a great return of service, but there were many who didn't and its those who I was thinking about. You will have to admit, the pilot movements in NZ for the last 3 years were extraordinary and I get the argument that if the opportunity is there etc etc. I also get that a great many people view these middle operators at stepping stones, which is fine. But there is using them as stepping stones and there is taking the piss. A lot of taking the piss occurred in the last 3 years.
JQ in particular got smashed because of the type rating and they were bloody desperate for pilots due the massive turnover, they almost became a training ground for air nz. I had heard of a whole course at JQ that never made it to their first cyclic because they were out the door to air nz. Others already had a yes letter before completing the line training courtesy of these middle airlines. Oh and there's the "forgetting to sign the bond" thing,- thanks for the type rating, ill catch you later.

It's just my humble opinion that this behavior is not cool and if a company has pumped the time and money into them then they should at least give a some years (plural) return of service because these places don't exist for the purpose of providing a leg up into air nz for aspiring young pilots.

Personally, if at all possible, I wouldn't leave a company in a way that wouldn't allow me a welcome return in the future. For many of these people I'm talking about, this is now an issue. This industry, especially in this part of the world, is far far to small to go burning bridges.

Again, I'm not anything to do with nz regional, never have been. I'm not poking fun or being a smart arse. I find it despicable that people would be doing that at a time like this and I'm quite intrigued to know the contents of this text message.
All I was saying was that for some people the doors to previous operators and those in their group will remain closed to them. That could be links, qantas group, virgin group (if they survive) cathay, m/e whatever, doesn't matter. That's a really **** situation and I'm sorry to those guys and girls. But if they DO get a shot at another good jet job, hows about re thinking tactics and don't use and abuse the fortunate position.
Some good points. You can get away with such behavior when things are going good, but now that jobs are going to be hard to come by, the employment histories on some cv's are going to count against some candidates big time.