PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2020, 21:25
kiwiabroad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash Blackman
Whilst I'd like to think that isnt happening, it might be. I would suggest it might be in small numbers and I would also suggest (having worked in similar companies) there are rumours on both sides which ends up fueling the negative culture and relationship in a vicious circular logic. On the jet side we have "the prop guys are smirking at our losses and clapping hands - they're always being disrespectful!" and on the prop side we have "the jet guys are trying to rewrite the contract and take our jobs. They're always trying to take from us!".
Why does it have to be like this? We're all pilots and most of us are adults too. I find it interesting that blokes in identical roles and in this case the same uniform can stare at each other across the board room or planning room with such contempt. For what reason? Both jobs have their individual challenges. "I'd like to see them try fly this aircraft" is an entirely pointless statement as are the empty rumours of what the other side is apparently saying. So much unnecessary competition.
/rant
Well said Flash, I think a lot of crew could take something from that.

Would now be the perfect time to do a complete reset regarding seniority/fleet lists, tag and release etc? Certainly would make it easier in times like this (hopefully we wouldn't see this type of pandemic in our careers again) for union/company decisions. How about a group date of joining list? It would also share the losses among the troops. I think it's pretty stink for a 10-20 year regional pilot whose been loyal to AirNZ throughout his/her career, and now who has recently joined the bottom of the jet list are potentially looking down the barrel of furlough/redundancy.

Let's face it, we had the opportunity to put the RSL on the bottom of the jet list 18 months ago but shut that down because of the cadetship attached to it and apparently to help our mates in the middle east and asian carriers a route back home. Now that there won't be any external hiring for many years to come, how about we look out for our colleagues and create a group list? I know not everyone would be comfortable with this, but now should be the time for us all to unite and look for one another.

Stay safe everyone