PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish charter airlines
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2020, 14:00
BSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two more from the dark depths of memory;

Wasn't there a mid-air collsion between a Spantax Coronado and a DC-9 over France in the early 70s? The root cause was an ATC strike with one aeroplane entering the hold at high level. Can't recall where the subsequnet inquiry found, but the Coronado was recovered into Cognac with a lump of wing outboard of an outboard engine missing. Alas, the DC-9 was lost trgically, but the Coronado's recovery was one heck of an effort.

As for not those airlines not lasting long, in the mid-eighties, Britannia leased a couple of DC-8-61s from a Spanish charter outfit. Islas Canarias might have been the name. Great bunch, always seemed to meet them in hotels down route, very friendly folk. At Gerona late one night, whilst doing the walkaround, as I stood under the tail of our aeroplane on the ramp, I watched one of them land off the ILS onto runway 20. We had tankered fuel in (expensive gas there at the time) and I assume they had too. They must have been heavy. Slight tailwind, gathering mist with a visibility reducing and moist, damp evening air, I watched it touch down. Now, runway 20 is downhill (.8% IIRC) not terribly long and I knew the brakes weren't great. I I knew they were facing a difficult challenge. Howling reversers brought in fast and hard. To this day. I can still see the DC-8 shuddering to halt, going all the way to the end of the runway, having missed the mid-point turn off and, best of all: the engines banging away like mad, shooting great gouts of flame out of the intakes as the reverse thrust was held in until almost at a standstill and the outboards as the engines were re-ingesting the exhaust thrown forward by the reverse. Compressor stalls? Surges,? couldn't tell you, but against the evening gloom an incredible sight. Islas Canarias? I think they packed in after that summer.

You can see this virus lockdown is providing too much internet time!

Take care everyone.