PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2020, 00:05
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash Blackman
Whats the story with the ex-RNZAF driver creating waves against the regional drivers on tag/release? isn't that why the industry has contracts & seniority? So we cant just bend things to suit our own agenda? Could be wrong though!
Prior to the Regional Pilots being added to the list, word was getting around that it was going to happen. A few guys from the RNZAF questioned it before starting and were told so long as they could accept a start before a certain date they would not be effected.
Those pilots subsequently joined Company and were given Seniority numbers.
Not long after, they had their numbers revoked and re-issued behind 40 or so Regionals on Tag & Release.
Apparently it was an administrative error made by the person who manages the list, but that still doesn't explain why those Pilots were told they would be ahead of the Regionals before starting. I have my suspicions it's because people were declining interviews and even starts due the effect it would have on Career Progressions but can't say for certain.

The Regional Pilots don't deserve the vitriol coming at them over this, it's not their fault. But I can also see it from the other perspective. 110 Pilots on the list ahead of you is 3-4 years retirements, so if you're a current Jet Pilot about to lose your job behind all the Regionals, your wait for re-employment will be significantly longer while they get to continue in their current job on the Q300/ATR as if nothing happened.

It's a mess.