PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF miss range in Japan by 5km
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2020, 20:31
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!
A few points, then back to my corona cave.
- One of the most poorly written and explained incident/accident/mishap reports I have ever seen. Lookin' at my vita, you can imagine how many boards I have been involved with in various capacities.
- If the pilot was originally gonna drop a LGB by himself ( twice), then the plane must have had some kinda pod for self-designation, huh? So why need a buddy to designate the tgt for the final attempt? I did not find a loadout for the plane, did you?
- I want to know if the point of impact was a "destination" or "waypoint" the pilot had loaded in his nav system. It could have been his IP for a planned release at the range or a RDVZ point. OTOH, if the "point of interest", aka target, intended to be a quick reaction/CAS tgt versus a pre-planned one, I can unnerstan the requirements for assuring the symbology in the HUD or on the REO /MFD reflects the intended tgt and that the range was not selected as a destination/waypoint/etc.
- The report did not describe the confirmation procedure used to ensure the POI was the intended tgt transmitted by the supporting player.
- Hard for me to fathom that the bomb range or another point was not displayed in addition to the tgt. Our dinosaur era Vipers displayed the selected nav destination and a tgt or IP symbol.

I agree with the Board that the mishap was human error, I just think there could have been a more clear sequence of events and better explanation of the tgt ID and coordinate transfer procedure, and equipment/systems used.

Gums sends...