PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Government Loan to Virgin Australia
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2020, 04:42
Buster Hyman

Evertonian

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Colonel_Klink
I assume you don’t support the money on offer to regional airlines? Or the money being spent keeping childcare centres open. Or the money being given to universities to help them offset the massive loss in revenue from foreign students. I also assume you’ll hand back any job keeper subsidy you (or your company) is receiving because sure as hell having the government chip in $3k a month per employee isn’t a free market either.
If they're broadly going to industries rather than poorly run companies, as per your quote, then yes, I'd support it. As an aside, I have no Jobkeeper monies to pay back as I'm ineligible.
Originally Posted by Blueskymine
What I can say is the government introduced these measures and strangled our airline industry. It completely restricts our ability to trade. Airlines need forward bookings and consumer confidence.

Yes, the government can’t pick winners or losers, but it’s the government who’s done this to its companies and citizens to save its health system and liability. So it’s the government who needs to sort it out.
Ergo, you'd rather Trumps solution where everything remains open and...let me just check the current numbers...26,033 have died.

Originally Posted by ozbiggles
A quick note to SCo MOs inbox to remind him that if he gets this wrong your vote will go somewhere else is always and sometimes the only way to get their attention.
There's a high chance of that happening, but the ALP is a bit like SIA, all talk no action. I recall Beasley sitting on an Ansett tug telling us all what he'd do if he was in power. When they did get into power, they didn't want to know us!