PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Government Loan to Virgin Australia
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2020, 02:14
longjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheels_down
I’m nervous after that PM statement. It’s clear in that statement from the PM that they are not assisting. Bit hard to say that, then pull some 11th hour deal.

The Government isn’t going to help. Looks like a Shorten government would have.

There is only really one option left. Branson to give them a loan. That’s the last desperate measure before calling it a day. He didn’t save Virgin America.

I’m feeling everyone’s pain. I’m quite angry actually. It didn’t have to end like this. 20 years. What an absolute waste and will be the worst corporate disaster in my lifetime. Bryan and Borghetti need to be stripped of every single cent to their names.

We don’t want some bottom feeding loco from the far north taking over. I hope David Neeleman sees an opportunity to bring his pride and joy down under, because my god it would be a weapon here. That’s the sort of carrier we need here, what Virgin should have been, and what this market needs. Not a Lion or Air Asia.
Maybe your lifetime Wheels, but for a number of those here (including VAI employees) there was a far larger Airline collapse in 2001, when after 65 years, an aviation icon collapsed. Your 20 years is not quite a third of that.

Like today, the liberal government of the time fumbled and then refused to help. Qantas stirred the pot and the unions merely sought to pursue their open agenda. The Labor government of the time resorted to scoring points.

In the end 16000 people lost their jobs.

Within a short space of time Virginblue and Qantas had filled the gap. The Air was much fairer than it had been before and more aviation jobs were created than previous.

Since the capacity war of 2013, VAI and QF have both been propping up yields in the domestic market with constrained capacity. For QF times have never been better. For VAI, even under these conditions they have struggled to make a profit.

Time for a new entrant, unconstrained capacity and more jobs.

My advice, employees need to think about their entitlements before Scurrah and his band burn through it all.