PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Government Loan to Virgin Australia
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2020, 21:42
Colonel_Klink

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Flava Saver
It may not be his fault as such, but I’m sorry, my tax paying dollars don’t deserve to go to a foreign owned outfit that can’t get their stuff in order. I challenge anyone to explain to me why MY and everyone else’s taxes should bail an individual company out? And forget the two airlines needed to keep the air fair, whilst they’ve been here 20 years and are in this situation! But you haven’t paid much in the way of Aussie tax I’m afraid, and were quick to take advantage of the Ansett collapse many years ago.
Two very quick points - your tax payer dollars have already gone to a foreign owned outfit - in REX, who got the majority of the $200m regional subsidy announced a few weeks ago. And who have now put their hand out for more....but there doesn’t seem to be much commentary here about the nasty foreign owned REX airline taking government handouts. I’m not sure if Air North received any of that money either, but there is another foreign owned airline. And I think as of last year....QF was close to 40% foreign owned.

And whilst VA have not paid any Company tax - I can assure you they still contribute indirectly to the tax system. The NB pilots would pay at least $60m in income tax every year alone. Not to mention GST, fuel excise taxes, etc etc.

I hope you’re as passionate about some of these issues in 6 months time when QF (remember the 40% foreign owned airline) puts their hand out for money (from your tax payer dollars, which they haven’t contributed to much recently either care of that handy $2b write down of assets a few years ago....)