PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fewer passengers, higher fares (good Indy article)
Old 14th Apr 2020, 18:13
covec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainCriticalAngle
This makes v interesting reading. But grim reading for all pilots, including wannabes I'm afraid.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9091236.html

Daily Telegraph (UK News) reporting similar.

Quote. “Air fares could double when lockdown is lifted, making foreign holidays temporarily unaffordable for many British families.

The Telegraph understands ticket prices are set to surge because once non-essential foreign travel is once again allowed, aircraft carriers are likely to be barred from fully filling planes.

This is in order to ensure passengers keep a safe distance from each other while onboard. Last night an industry source said it is expected that aircraft carriers will be given social distancing guidance, which they will be asked to enforce for passengers“.

Unquote.

Must admit, having now given up on sitting in Row 0 (but I do have an FI job courtesy MOD) I’ve been thinking about what it would be like to use public transport infrastructure. E.g. London Underground to Heathrow. Then the Security. Security Trays. The crush of people. Retail outlets. Public toilets. The queue at the entrance to the aircraft as you board. Flying packed economy. I’m sure that the Cabin Crew must feel the same and, I assume Pilots if they too travel on public transport to Crew In.

Time to get used to masks and gloves. Lovely. All the way across the pond.