PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2, Tui Or Ryanair?
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2020, 06:58
Black Pudding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’d like to first say I don’t work at any of the 3 airlines mentioned and I hope nobody take offence to me adding to this thread. I did work for Thomson for 3 years but was made redundant in the 2010 event. Last in, last out which I fully agree with. I totally enjoyed working there and would have never left. Great company back then, I don’t know about now but I still have friends there who are very happy. I also have friends working at Jet2 who are also happy. Ryanair, I don’t know anyone there.

With reference to the title of the thread, Jet2, Tui Or Ryanair, I would not work for Ryanair unless I had to, and chances are I wouldn’t bother unless it was financially beneficial to me and was at a base I could survive at. I think I would just not bother and go back to truck driving or working in the Far East on an Airbus which is what I’m current on at present.

So regarding Tui or Jet2

For me it would be all about lifestyle, income, job satisfaction, job security and basing.

I remember many years ago whilst working on the ramp before I qualified, I managed to organise a jumpseat observation flight with a Britannia base Captain. As they had an amazing colour scheme that gave the impression of a wonderful company to work for, I asked him what he thought of the new colour scheme that they were in the process of changing to, the light blue Thomson.co.uk colour scheme. His reply was he did not give a **** as long as his job, terms and conditions and lifestyle did not change. Initially I was shocked but many years later I now fully understand what he meant.

If I did work for BA, the prestige of saying I worked for BA means nothing to me. Who the hell wants to live anywhere near London and work out of LHR. If you’re from down that neck of the woods, then fair enough, but why would anyone want to move down there from their home area. For me only if it was the last option. Would I be ashamed to say I work for either Tui or Jet2, no I wouldn’t. I’d work for either but as we know, it depends on if you’re a FO or Captain who you would aim for. I would go from present Captain to FO at TUI if I had to, but if an opportunity of DEC at Jet2 was there, I would take that as a priority.

As for long haul. If you’re young and want to see the world, then happy for you, but when you get to the wrong side of 50, spending hours on end in a tin can to spend around 20 hours free time down route for a few beers and a steak is not glamorous at all. I’d rather be at home with family or in a pub with real friends. That’s my own personal preference. You want long haul ? crack on with it and very happy for you if you can get what you desire. Loads aimed for Virgin because they wanted long haul.

If you have a job that pays well, nice routes, you’re happy, job security and at a preferred base, then we have to be very grateful. Having to take a job in another part of the world can be stressful and demanding on a family, I know.

Regarding the above post reference we’re better than you ? I do actually know guys who have left each Tui for Jet2 and vice versa. It’s not all one way and good luck to them for their reasons.

Pay, happiness, lifestyle, base. Job security.

My thoughts are with all that have still not found a job since Monarch, TCX and Flybe’s demise, especially those with a totally waste of time rating and maybe outstanding loans ie MPLs.

Good luck to all crews in all UK companies during the coming months/year.

Last edited by Black Pudding; 14th Apr 2020 at 10:40.