PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted Airport History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2020, 22:12
Sotonsean

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Duchess_Driver
My first visit to Stansted was in the early ‘80s. At the time I collected tails and recall the ASA DC-8s. Seem to remember a CAA Dove around somewhere on the fire ground amid numerous 707s (Air Berlin?). Best bit was the Young Cargo Britannias.

This was before the expansion and new terminal. Seems the place has lost a lot of its character.
I don't have a photo of the CAA Dove at the fire dump although I can remember seeing it along with the former CAA Percival Prince G-AMKY.

Two Air Berlin Boeing 707's at fire dump in the early eighties along with an Aeropa Boeing 707 and Young Cargo Britannia.

There were five Air Berlin Boeing 707's stored at London Stansted Airport in the early eighties with these two eventually scrapped at the old fire dump.

African Safari Airlines DC8-63 HB-IBF at London Stansted Airport during July 1989. African Safari Airlines were using the airport at the time for their charter flights to Mombasa, Kenya via Zurich.

TransMeridian DC-8-33 G-BETJ, purchased from African Safari Airlines as 5Y-ASA on the 09 May 1977. This aircraft was bought as spares as mentioned up thread and she was eventually broken up in July 1985.

​​​​​

Young Cargo Britannia OO-YCG at London Stansted Airport on the 05 June 1977. It was XM498 in RAF service. After OO-YCG it became EL-LWG then 9Q-DCT before being broken up in Kinshasa, Zaire.