PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of the Airlines.
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2020, 16:14
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If this is a stupid question, then please forgive me.
I understand the usual lateral separation of pilots in the cockpit would be about 1m.
I understand MOL has previously referred to the co-pilots as "redundant"
I note FR appear to be flying loops in order to maint the fleet ready for an immediate return to revenue service.

I note the reason why he's doing this, but I am also wondering how this would be defined as essential in comparison with repatriation flights or carrying urgent equipment.
But I also accept FR's model is quire different to even other locos - they regularly rotate a/c between different bases so they can't just define a small portion as "the hub fleet" or even the core fleet.
I don't see any **major** environmental issues with a small number of very short loops, if that in turn prevents the need for future maintenance, which itself often needs 2 dead head sectors (not one), especially as all the other airlines are going to present a massive back log on the facilities that do this. In any normal business situation, airlines will still operate empty sectors as part of pilot training. These machines are usually going to operate 3-5 return sectors per day with high 70s LF, but of coure they are getting lambasted for it.

I'm just wondering if there are any circumstances in which a commercial aircraft can ever be permitted to take off with only one operator at the controls.

I know that's a stupid question to pilots, but I'm not a pilot, just someone who used to have a more regular interest in the industry.

Last edited by jabird; 13th Apr 2020 at 16:47.