PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QATAR Airways QTR28N Mel-Doh
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2020, 19:22
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by synteny
Could anyone still have the ATC recording file in their downloads folder? I've been on the flight and only just discovered this fascinating discussion. Totally intrigued to hear, but it's already gone from the server.
I'll attach an edited version of the LiveATC.net recording from the first 30 minutes of the episode. Since several channels including ground control and clearance delivery are on the original clip some transmissions concerning the Qatari A380 are missed. The audio is in a .zip file that will open on most computers but not on many phones and tablets. As you can hear, this emergency does not require urgent action even though the flight has to return to MEL.

Originally Posted by synteny
There was no emergency landing drill, like customary on some other airlines, we just landed. In the line to immigration back in the terminal a senior lady asked me: "What happened? I fell asleep and now we're back". That sums it up -- nothing spectacular really happened aboard, but left curious memories and I did return to Melbourne for an extra day.
I had a similar experience years ago deadheading back to base from Japan on a Northwest B-744. I had been flying around Asia for a few days and decided to forgo an extra day of layover to catch the first flight home.

At rotation the number the three engine started having compressor stalls and sounded like somebody banging on a trash can. I heard the engine being shut down and saw that we were going into the hold to dump fuel. I dozed off and woke up when the gear came down on the approach. I looked at my watch and it appeared that only 15 minutes had elapsed since takeoff. Wow, these guys are good I thought. It turns out that I had forgot to change my watch from China time and we had been airborne for an hour and 15 minutes.

I made a couple of wisecracks about Pratt motors and the well dressed fellow next to me viewed me with great suspicion. I figured out later that he was a nervous flyer and a Federal Air Marshal.

Northwest had a 747-200 available somewhere in theatre that operated the flight uneventfully a few hours later.
Attached Files