PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I demand to be an Airline Pilot - Tell em they're dreaming
Old 12th Apr 2020, 17:43
Climb150

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Heywoodjablome
After 30 years in the industry myself working on the ground for a major airline then for an airport operator being married to an ex hostie who was later an airline res centre manager I have had a lot of time in the industry. As well as my son who worked for a ground handling agent & my brother-in-law flew as a flight attendant for 37 years, I feel I am qualified to comment on the immediate future of the industry. Unfortunately with the way business has carried on with electronic conferencing country & even worldwide I think a lot of businesses will decide to conduct future meetings remotely which will result in a lot less business class & even economy class flying & a lot less hotel expenses. If this is correct ( & I hope I am wrong ) the industry will take a long time to recover with a lot of casualties in regard to carriers & as a result their staff be that air or ground crew & subsequent general airport staff will be affected in a huge way.
All of this was said after the GFC. Companies made statements about cutting travel budgets and being "leaner". Contrary to this when the economy started to recover business travel recovered too. What we have now is different but I hope that when we get a treatment/vaccine, and people get back to work then travel should start to recover too.