PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I demand to be an Airline Pilot - Tell em they're dreaming
Old 12th Apr 2020, 04:25
VH DSJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Super Cecil
Nev, yes there are limited choices GA, Aeromedical, corporate, AG or Fire are some of the few that you can make a career. Agreed they won't make the money there used to be in airlines. I have never had a desire to get a job with airlines. I have had a 40 year career in Ag and on fire work, enjoyed it immensely. 100% hands on, never switched on an autopilot. I learned to fly to fly an aircraft, not to sit there for 95% of the time while the autopilot does the work. I put job satisfaction of AG flying above making double the money in an airline job, after 40 years I still enjoy every hour I fly. I will repeat, not everybody thinks working for an airline is the dream job.
Interesting that you say that. When I was in the USA flying the Ejet for a regional airline, I flew with a Captain who flew crop dusters as his side job which actually paid more than his US regional airline captain job. He used to bid for minimum amount of flying per month with the airline, which allowed him to fly the crop dusters on his days off. He did it for the money more than the enjoyment of it, but then everyone's different. For me personally, I prefer which ever way is easier to make a buck. I've done my time in GA with over 2000 hours logged in piston aircraft and enjoyed every hour of it, but these days, I much prefer to get the job done in the easiest way possible (autopilot on, follow the magenta line). Being at home and spending time with family and supporting that lifestyle on a decent wage has higher priority.