PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of Jetstar
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2020, 00:27
v1r8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Derfred

For example, I predict that one of the first relaxations will be that for example a Mining Engineering Consultant from Melbourne will be allowed to finally visit their minesite project in QLD that they were supposed to inspect 2 weeks ago until they suddenly weren’t allowed to. These jobs aren’t going away, they are building up while the poor sods in charge of serious jobs they are responsible for are supposedly working from home. With every day, these companies are losing more millions, and they won’t tolerate it for long. These will be the first people to be “relaxed” in a gradual wind-down of Covid-19 protection measures, and they are the high-value clients of Qantas domestic. Not Jetstar, sorry. They pay $500 for a ticket, not $50.

I suggest that the pent-up demand in business travel required by those who actually have and would need to travel to get this economy happening again will surprise even Qantas. There is only so much you can do on Skype when you have a multi-million dollar project happening in another state, which is only stalled on the basis of the whim of a government official, and could be revoked next week, next month, 3 months, next year, who knows?
and here is where I think you are wrong. Many companies will find video conferencing works pretty well nowadays. For those who do need face time after months and months of bleeding money they will absolutely spend 50 over 500 bucks to get from A to B if offered by a LCC instead of QF. In good times LCCs fly a lot of people who normally don’t fly much. In bad times they fly people who want to scale down / start watching their bottom line more. Business and leisure wise.