PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Saving the accidents for later
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2020, 16:18
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
PC,

A very topical and timely post. Here on the western extremes of the Canadian Prairies, my gliding club has, in most years, started flying by now, or is very close to starting operations. This year is going to be very different and even if we didn't have the lockdown, 15 cm of new snow overnight would have delayed things!

Your comment about rust is applicable every year to pilots in Canadian gliding clubs, except of course to clubs on the coastal fringe of Lotus Land aka BC. My club requires all glider pilots, including private owners, to do a Spring Checkout consisting of two dual flights, one of which includes stalling and spinning. The tow pilots have a similar checkout which includes slow flight and stalling - spinning is prohibited in our towplanes.

A question arises - who checks the checkers? What we do is to have the CFI and CTP fly with other experienced pilots and they do a mutual checkout. It is very noticeable to me, that I am quite rusty after a five to six month hiatus and I am cautious on my first few flights.