PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The D'havilland Heron Story
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2020, 13:59
eckhard

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In May, 1979 (41 years ago!) I was undergoing conversion training onto the Dove. My instructor pointed out that the flaps were quite separate from each other and might therefore retract and extend at slightly different rates, resulting in a small rolling tendency. We also observed that as we approached the aircraft, one flap appeared to be fully down and the other one was at the take-off position. “Ah, yes; that can happen as the pneumatic pressure dissipates overnight. All will be well when we start the engines”.

I climbed into the left seat (for the first time) as my instructor occupied the right. “You don’t really need a checklist for this aircraft, as it’s very simple really”. Sure enough, in a few minutes we were waddling across the grass parking area and down the grass taxiway towards the hard runway. After take-off, ATC remarked that “one of your main-wheels is up, the other down and the nose-wheel is half way!” A quick glance at the indicator lights, as well as the mechanical indicators confirmed this. We tried switching the lights from Day to Night and back, to no avail.

“Well, we’d better select the gear down again”, opined my, by now slightly concerned, instructor. Pushing the gear selector in produced not so much as a hiss, and the indications remained as before. ATC were informed that we were returning to the circuit for further troubleshooting.

As luck would have it, there was a Severn Airways Dove approaching from the west who heard the entire exchange. “Have you checked the Master Air Valve?” came his voice over the frequency. “Aha, yes of course!”, said my instructor who pointed out to me where the control was (down by my left calf, if I remember correctly). Sure enough, it was in the “OFF” position. When selected down, there was a brief hissy pause, the triple indicator came to life and the gear slammed down, with three greens and all mechanical indicators in the right place.

Having thanked our benefactor, we continued with some training and put it down to experience. I typed out my own copy of the checklist when I got home.

There must have been just enough residual pressure in the accumulator bottle to operate the brakes, and the flaps probably “blew” up under airflow pressure. The thing that worried me afterwards was that the only thing holding the gear down during our wobbly taxi across the rough grass were the over-centre locks.