PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEMS & COVID-19
Thread: HEMS & COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2020, 13:58
Radgirl

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
I am really posting to help those pilots doing this work as opposed to those just interested

The Italian photos show the use of FFP2 masks for the medical crew which do not protect them from AFPs. Not sure if the pilot's mask is FFP2 or FFP3 but unless you are actually joining in the intubation or lifting / moving the stretcher from the patient's head end an FFP2 meets the current guidelines.

The face shields are fine, but no better than a helmet with visor so I would just disconnect and leave my helmet on - changing from helmet to shield and back again is high risk. You cant do it without TWO hand cleans plus change of gloves plus container for helmet and shield and ideally a face and neck wash!! With a patient in the cab!!

The plastic coveralls again are questionable - flying overalls are as good. Just wash them. But my main gripe is the pilot has no gloves on and is touching his coveralls.

Unless you are transferring covid19 patients (and I see absolutely no indication) the patient is low risk. The risk is from the close proximity to ground crew, ops and especially the medical crew who may have been on a Covid 19 ward the day before!!!! Stay away from them. You can only get infected if the virus in their sputum gets into your airway. So masks for them and you at all times, wear gloves, and consider everything you touch to be contaminated so dont touch your face with your hands / gloves. The best way to achieve this is to keep your helmet on and visor down from walking out to changing at the end of shift and get someone to give you a lesson in donning and doffing or look online

As for the cabin isolation engineering, that only works if NOBODY in the front ever mixes with ANYONE in the back between proper cabin cleans at base. No paramedic in the front left seat. No pilot touching the stretcher, carrying cases or oxygen or helping with loading......Why not just stay in the cab, keep the front left seat empty and save your money