PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF C Type Hangars
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2020, 13:32
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
You will find a "Flight Shed" at most manufacturers' airfields. And not forgetting the famous Black Sheds at Farnborough.
All RAE hangars at Farnborough were known as 'Sheds' preceded by a letter, the one exception bring the 'Army' Hangar which was a standard AAC design erected in the '60s. The so called 'Black Sheds' are now only one, known as 'K' Shed.
As far as I'm aware, Farnborough only ever had one 'C' Type whch was 'B' Shed, now demolished but in use from at least '74 as the main stores. It was behind the also demolished 'A' Shed next to where the old control tower(s) used to stand.
Only 2 other original aircraft sheds remain, these being 'N' and 'D' Sheds which are between West 1 and West 2 Aprons.
'H' Shed was a T1 type on the south side next to a department known as 'Special Weapons' and it was used during wartime to house the first jet powered aircraft. As such I suggested it be retained and 'listed' status be applied for but as usual I was ignored and tragically it too has been demolished but building may have already started on a new hangar complex nearby to house a new maintenance facility.
Other Sheds all now demolished were :-
'C' Type T2 in west area
'E' Type T2 abutting the hill on which the airshow 'terraces' are built thus only useable from one end.
'F' Type T2 south side often known as 'ETPS Hangar'
'G' Robin or Type T1 north of what is now South 2 Apron.
'L' Type T2 in west area north of 'C' shed.
'M' Large Robin or possibly Type T1 on West Apron west of 'C' Shed (doors were just wide enough for the Aero Club Cherokee G-BBKX)
'Q' Type T2 constructed post war where 'Flight Safety International' now stands.
Two I'm not sure of are 'J' Shed; it could have been a Robin at the western end of 'A' Shed or it might have been the 'companion' black shed to 'K' Shed; the other is 'P' Shed and I have no idea where that might have been.
There were also one or two 'blisters' dotted around but as far as I'm aware, these were never included in the 'lettered' series although I suppose as one was next to 'Q' Shed, maybe that was 'P' Shed?

Last edited by chevvron; 12th Apr 2020 at 09:35.